Photo

Lucario: Is he any good for VGC?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zekrio

Zekrio
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

I was just wondering why haven't I seen anyone using lucario during wifi battles or even on PO, much less VGC. Is he really that bad? I think he has good typing and movepool, although he does have mediocre stats. I'm starting to test this mini Anubis out on my goodstuff team, but what role suits him best? Special? Physical? Perhaps supporter? Or does he do a better job in singles than doubles? All opinions, reasons, and suggestions are welcome! :D

Edited by Zekrio, 15 September 2013 - 08:51 PM.

You know what's funny? I'm not funny.

#2 pball0010

pball0010
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

To my knowledge no one has really succeeded with him...

yet...

(-o-) #respectthenumbers #hornetswarm (-o-)
3DS FC: 2105-9900-6945

#3 P3DS

P3DS
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Well lucario ( my favorite pokemon =] ) has really got some diversity. You have the physical set, and extremespeed to get a jump on the prankster users, where as the special set can hit a bit of damage to pokemon like rhyperior. Also, it has 2 amazing VGC abilities. Inner focus stops the ever present fake out, and then you can attack, whilst justified is great when absorbing incoming dark moves i.e. crunch. The latter ability is ok to use in a pseudo terracott, but you could utilize a defensive set with follow me, as it does a decent job, but is outclassed by amoonguss

Edited by P3DS, 16 September 2013 - 07:24 AM.

Trade Shop: The Aura Trade Shop

#4 Chauzu

Chauzu
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

When looking at Lucario it really feels like he should be usable. Good typing, good movepool, good abilites, the fact that he is so uncommon whilst he is able to do quite a few different roles. I feel like he should defo be usable if you build the team around him rather than adding him as a 6th member and hoping that he magically fits the slot perfectly...

Chansey Maniac

#5 Zekrio

Zekrio
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

I hope Lucario will be more useful when X and Y comes out. With his mega evolution(the only drawback to mega evolution is that you have to waste the item slot on the Lucarionite; same goes for Arceus) and resistance to fairy(does Lucario's steel type cancel out his weakness to Fairy because he's also fighting type?), I think he'll get more attention hopefully.

You know what's funny? I'm not funny.

#6 Duy

Duy
  • Tournament Host
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:22 AM

The latter ability is ok to use in a pseudo terracott, but you could utilize a defensive set with follow me, as it does a decent job, but is outclassed be amoonguss

Not true. Amoongus is much bulkier, but Lucario has a really good typing to go off of and can bite back with Fighting STABs. Lucario is perfect if you are trying to protect the Dragon types on your team, as he resists both Ice and Dragon type moves. I have been theorying for a long time that pairing up Lucario with a fellow Dragon to allow the Dragon to use setup moves has potential. I, however, have not tested it just yet. Ray Rizzo has been known to use Follow Me Lucario in the 2010 metagame to redirect Spacial Rends and Draco Meteors, so it definitely has its niche as a supporting Pokemon.

Follow me on Twitter @NBDwee

#7 Werford

Werford
  • Editor
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

I've had somewhat limited success using special Lucario in a similar capacity to Aaron's Scizor set. I can't remember the EVs of the top of my head, but I ran a Modest Luc @ Fighting Gem with Nasty Plot, Vacuum Wave, Dark Pulse, and Quick Guard. One advantage of using Special Lucario is its access to the only Special priority attack in the game. I also observed while using it that it was an excellent sponge for Will O Wisps, as most people expect Physical Lucario, only to be punished by a +2 attack the next turn.

It was definitely a fun mon to use, but I don't think I was using it quite to its potential. It seemed pretty frail despite its excellent resistances, and even at +2 I could have used a little more power from it.

Editor | Regional Top Cuts: 2 (Winter 2013, Winter 2014) | Twitter: @Werford | Beer League Goals: Too many to count

#8 lucariojr

lucariojr
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

the most successful venture i've had with lucario is pairing him up with calm mind cresselia. lucario checks a lot of the stuff that gives cress a hard time (ttar and thund with stone edge), redirects stuff like crunch and draco's, and in general plays a lot like volcarona in that it's a pretty solid offensive follow me user that isn't mauled by scarftar. i used a spread of 92 HP / 212 atk / 4 def / 4 spD / 196 spe, which outsped loom (even though i get ohko'd by mach punch but its still a good speed to hit), lived ttar's low kick and bulky thund's egem tbolt before close combat, and can ohko the same bulky thund with stone edge and life orb.

also lucario is the best mon, no bias

Edited by lucariojr, 16 September 2013 - 06:20 AM.

-- . ... ... / .-- .. - .... / - .... . / -... . ... - / -.. .. . / .-.. .. -.- . / - .... . / .-. . ... -

#9 araluen7

araluen7
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

I can honestly say every time I picked him up, I found him to be very lackluster. And I tried everything that I can think of, Fighting Gem, Steel Gem, Life Orb, Sitrus, Lum, Expert Belt. Every Single set I had on him, just never did enough for me. I really like his movepool, and his typing, and even his sprites, but bidoof if his stats don't do him justice. If he got like, at minimum +10 to every stat that would be so much better. Before I gave up on him, the most useful set I tried was the Life Orb Mix set with Extreme Speed, Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, Protect. I choose ESpeed over Bullet Punch and Vacuum Wave because it let me take care of essentially all the pokemon who threatened to Fake Out that turn, because I think I had Justified as an ability. 

also lucario is the best mon, no bias

No dude, you're thinking of Glaceon. ;)

[14:45] araluen7: on a scale of technoz to 1337 how good was i?
[13:06] @Mikoto Misaka: i feel like you guys try too hard to be hipsters

#10 shinryu

shinryu
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Follow Me Lucario would be so much better if he had the defenses to back his solid typing. Otherwise his Spe is middling for sweeping, and other options are either bulkier or hit harder.

#11 MarvelousBridge

MarvelousBridge
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

Just to reiterate what Duy and a few others said, Follow Me Lucario is the best VGC set as it aides Latios/tias so well. Good luck, he will require the right team!

Did she just disappear?!

#12 melevin9

melevin9
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

I think defenses of 70/70/70 and weakness to fighting are the reasons you dont see very many Lucario in this metagame. If it had semi decent defenses to back up its massive and awesome movepool then it would certainly see alot more usage than it does now

Winning is teaching .. Losing is learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users