Welcome to Nugget Bridge - Premier Competitive Pokémon VGC Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Enemy

Stance Change?

Hiya everyone,

I was kinda wondering how Stance Change (on Aegislash) worked?
I know that it's supposed to go into Attack mode when you choose an attacking move, and Defense mode when you use any other move (boosting or status).
But my question is, does it go into attack/defense mode before you make your attack/move? or is it a result of using those moves that cause you to switch formes?

As far as the stance changing it switches when it's your respective move on the field, so if you're slowest, you won't change stances until after everyone else moves, and vice versa if you're the fastest. 

I don't know the extent of the moves that cause you to go from Offense to Defense, but I can tell you that using Swords Dance does not make you change back (found that out the hard way)

As far as the stance changing it switches when it's your respective move on the field, so if you're slowest, you won't change stances until after everyone else moves, and vice versa if you're the fastest. 

I don't know the extent of the moves that cause you to go from Offense to Defense, but I can tell you that using Swords Dance does not make you change back (found that out the hard way)

So does that mean for instance, I'm in defense mode, and I use Sacred Sword. And I'm the fastest on the field. Does that mean I switch into offense mode and then use Sacred Sword? or do I switch into offense mode as a result of me using sacred sword?

Wait, using swords dance doesn't make you go into defense mode?? WHAT? D:

Yepp. So here's an example

Charizard speed 50
Aegislash speed 49

Charizard uses Dragon Claw
Aegislash changes into Offense, Aegislash uses Iron Head

OR

Aegislash changes into Offense, Aegislash uses Shadow Sneak
Charizard uses Dragon Claw

Since Shadow Sneak is +1 Aegislash will move first

The ultimate Serebii definition:
The Pokémon changes form depending on how it battles.

Edited by araluen7

I heard only King's Shield brings you back into defense mode, have no way of confirming though.

All non-attacking moves do this.

All attacking moves change you back to offensive.

Has anyone else been thinking SUPER slow Aeigislash to abuse always being in shield form when your opponent attacks?  (You start shield, get hit, then use an attack (going last) switching into sword mode. Next turn use kings shield with priority which throws you back into shield mode before your opponent goes off).  Just a thought.

It's easy to go around King's Shield though since it doesn't stop status moves and the like. I've managed to burn Aegislash many times so far in my games and it just isn't that scary after that. (Unless it's Special.)

Nope. Only King's Shield reverts Aegislash back to shield forme.

Oh, thats kinda disappointing. :(

Oh wait, does this mean we can still use non attacking moves and stay in shield forme?

Edited by The Enemy

Oh, thats kinda disappointing. :(

Oh wait, does this mean we can still use non attacking moves and stay in shield forme?

So long as you're already in Shield forme, yes. Non-attacking moves (except King's Shield) do not affect Stance Change IIRC.