Photo

Pokemon Showdown VGC'14 / Battle Spot Usage Statistics - November 2013

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Antar

Antar
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

I saw an article on this site somewhere where it looked like someone had done some informal polling to compile usage statistics for XY Battle Spot. I figured you guys might actually like some *real* usage statistics.

Gen VI statistics

Past Gen statistics

(Nintendo formats are about halfway down each post)

I'll try to check in to answer questions as they arise, but if you want to get a-hold of me quickly, contact me through Smogon.

Some answers to frequently asked questions:

• Stats are weighted by "likelihood that the player who used a given team is 'above average'"

• "Raw" refers to unweighted, while "Real" only counts Pokemon that actually appear in battle.

#2 Firestorm

Firestorm

Pokémon Gandhi

• Administrator
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

Please note that this is based on 6 days, for some of which there were still some bugs like Dark Void not working. December should be a more interesting month as we'll have a full month of data for the simulator metagame.

Twitter: @rushanshekar

#3 Antar

Antar
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

True, but Battle Spot has been supported since the 12th.

Edited by Antar, 03 December 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#4 Scott

Scott

Only Ironically Magnanimous

• Administrator
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for posting the link.

While I'm definitely in the camp with limited interest for now given the lack of November data, it's not like we had a great sample of Battle Spot data either no matter how representative it feels, so getting more information is always helpful. Eyeballing what is there for Showdown!, the order of usage isn't particularly far off of what we'd been finding on Battle Spot, so that's kind of interesting as a sort of confirmation. Definitely a lot more Amoonguss, Scrafty, Klefki, and Charizard? on Showdown!, and less of Meowstic sort of and Chandelure(which I have no idea why was so popular to begin with when we were collecting data), but most of the rest looks similar. I'd say we're definitely at the point where we have a pretty good idea where the metagame is in a general sense now, at least, though I'm eager to get some meaningful events in to start driving the metagame a little bit because it's awfully hodgepodge right now.

Demographics are a big thing comparing stats, with Battle Spot (especially at higher ratings) basically exclusively being Japanese players with a handful of dedicated VGCers from NA and EU and Showdown! being a lot more open but presumably almost purely NA/EU, so it should be interesting to see how the overall data compares in December on Showdown! to the end-of-season stats in actual Doubles Battle Spot, assuming we at least get the sort of data we got on BW's Global Link. There's some obvious regional taste -- Meowstic will probably always be much more popular on Battle Spot while stuff like Scrafty will probably always be much more popular on Showdown! -- but not surprised everything looks about the same for now given the available options.

Scott Glaza. @NBNostrom on Twitter. I sometimes stream on Twitch.

2013-14 US Nationals/Worlds commentator. Co-founder / Staff Writer / Community Manager for Nugget Bridge.

#5 bearsfan092

bearsfan092
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Rather amused at the lack of speed control relative to other generations, but we knew this was going to be the case going in anyway.  Meowstic, Gyarados, and Klefki at 10, 12 and 13 are the most common mons that often utilize speed control.  The first potential TR user is Chandelure at 17, followed by Trevenant at 25.  I'm a little surprised Trevenant finished above Aromatisse (35) since Aromatisse strikes me as the "obvious" TR user, but these stats are very preliminary.

Makes me a little sad really, since I think speed control adds strategic depth to the game (shoutouts to Gavin and Arash for winning without speed control), but there are still a lot of things to be explored.  Can't wait until next month (or after an event) to see what things are really looking like.

#6 Alaka

Alaka
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Most of the meowstic I see on showdown use TR bears.

#7 TheHighdregion

TheHighdregion
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thank you Anatar, my teams are dependent on these statistics. :P

catch up with me in 'VGC' pokemon showdown ,enuff said 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users