Photo

English Dream World Sinnoh Starters Released

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Nugget Bridge

Nugget Bridge
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

With all the hubbub about the 2013 VGC circuit yesterday, this one almost slipped through the cracks: According the the Pokemon Global Link website the Sinnoh starters, Piplup, Chimchar and Turtwig, have been released. To grab one of these sought-after Pokemon, you'll need to head over to your local Wal-Mart and pick up a specially marked copy of Pokemon Black 2 Version or Pokemon White 2 Version. Inside there will be a code that can be inputted into your PGL account to obtain the starter of your choice from December 6, 2012, to July 31, 2013.

Quantities are limited!

Read the full story here

#2 honchkro13

honchkro13
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Whoa I'm really loving this sudden outpouring of news over the past 24 hours. I'll bet those starters will be males who can't pass down the ability via breeding :

Nugget Bridge's Fullmetal Alchemist
IGN: Adib  l  Blog: Honchkro Hut

#3 Aoam Bojail

Aoam Bojail
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

So... to hell with those of us who already bought both???

don't Thunderbolt a Palpitoad

#4 Fatum

Fatum

Krähenkönig von Bochum

• 571 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

So that's Defiant Empoleon, Iron Fist Infernape and Shell Armor Torterra for America. I'm not sure if this event is better or worse than the German (or European? I don't know) version of it: buy a new game from that dreaded toys store I won't dare to write the name of to get a Lightningrod Pikachu. I'm not sure because there's really no rational point in the requirement. "Long live the failing people who shove all their quid up Big-N's butt at the release date." :D :( I wonder if there are people putting some codes on Ebay, haha.

Edited by Fatum, 06 December 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#5 plaid

plaid

Have it on my desk by 5

• Administrator
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Note that this does NOT include Serperior.

Follow me on Twitter @NBplaid.

#6 TKOWL

TKOWL
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Iron Fist Infernape yeeeeaaaaaa

Ryan G. / The Knights of Wario Land 

( ´_ゝ`)

#7 Zubat

Zubat
  • Editor
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I was gonna make a post about this when I saw it on PGL today. Someone's gotta find that code!

Don't follow me @ZubatVGC

#8 BlitznBurst

BlitznBurst
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Maybe Infernape will see more use...?

|22:08 DrFidget Sash Breloom is great| Twitter: @BlitznBurst Facebook: Caleb Ryor

#9 Biosci

Biosci

socal so good

• 609 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

The more I think about, I really don't know how happy I am about this. DW Infernape is gonna kinda suck if we can't get it female, since Fake Out is an egg move. DW Empoleon might be worth it, but awfully gimmicky. DW Torterra is just....... not useful in competitive play.

Not really any good or possible changes to the metagame with the now wide availability of the DW Sinnoh starters to America.

#10 Lamitie11

Lamitie11
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I would have rather had Hoenn Starters or Serperior. <3 Serperior.

[8:16pm]Lamitie11: I hope that's not against the rules, lol.  [8:16pm]buttebot: I hope that's not against the butts, lol.  [8:16pm]Lamitie11: AGAINST THE BUTTS

#11 chidori251

chidori251
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

contrary serperior FTW!

Darkrai used Dark Void! Opponent Disconnected.....

#12 shinryu

shinryu
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

No Speed Boost Blaziken :(

Iron Fist Infernape is kinda cool I guess...Defiant Empoleon not really as he's a better special sweeper anyways unless you're using some gimmick thing. And Shell Armor Torterra, waste, not much better than Overgrowth if at all.

#13 TheAllyKat

TheAllyKat
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Is this promotion limited to the US? (Canada here.) I validated the codes for the December dolls about 25 minutes ago and did not see a spot to validate the code. Would someone post their code once validated? On the off chance its just the same code in every game. Is anyone really surprised by this announcement? Let's face facts, its Christmas! The Pokemon Company wants to see children marking their wishlists with a copy of Black 2 or White 2. From a marketing stance, the only way for an ongoing franchise to keep popping out games that are nearly identical to all the others in the series, in this modern day, is to place more and more emphasis upon online play. The online experience of any competitive game sells the game. It also gets people talking about the online experience. I could easily go off on a rant about how there are many things factoring into the International/US release of the Sinnoh starters however I will just say: do not be surprised if the Kanto and Hoenn starters find there way into the light pre-VGC Worlds in August.

Edited by Biosci, 09 December 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#14 Calm Lava

Calm Lava
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I don't really see any of these 3 getting any more use, I think blaze infernape is better since it typically carries sash and overheat. Empoleon will get a stronger aqua jet which is really cool but the rest of his physical move pool is shabby

#15 Ashclops

Ashclops
  • Banned
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

They believe that there is money in the starters, but picking up an extra cartridge is more than a little redundant. Why not sell DLC expansions GAMEFREAK? Improve the battle subway and offer some DW abilities for a charge.

Extra carts for Lucario previously and now the Sinnoh starters? I will require more incentive than that to pick up another cart at retail costs.

"I heard there was a Cut master on board, but he was just a seasick old man." - Gary Oak

#16 Calm Lava

Calm Lava
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

^because no one rngs them and gives them to everyone for free.. Also i doubt Nintendo will EVER sell extra DLC for games, it's pretty much against what Nintendo is as a company

#17 CT MikotoMisaka

CT MikotoMisaka
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yeah Nintendo is against the whole DLC thing.

Formly SapphireBirch. Ace Of Imoutos
Nuggetbridge's Cute Level 5 Espurr TCG player.

#18 TKOWL

TKOWL
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Yeah Nintendo is against the whole DLC thing.

Not entirely true. There's been a ton of DLC now for New Super Mario Bros. 2, and the Wii U and 3DS will receive tons more DLC according to them.

For the DS, however, I hear it's impossible to do original DLC with that anyways.

Edited by The Knights of Wario Land, 07 December 2012 - 11:49 AM.

Ryan G. / The Knights of Wario Land 

( ´_ゝ`)

#19 Calm Lava

Calm Lava
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Stuff like side games (dream radar) that allow you to get new Pokemon are then only real thing I can think of that would come close, but I'd still like for that not to be the case even though I love small side games for Pokemon

#20 JaiOn

JaiOn
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I just don't see why I should have to buy another game for dw starters, I'm not made of money..I think it would  have been a better idea if they like sold Plushies with the DW Codes.. Surely that'd be more productive, who wants the same game twice (I've got both B2 and W2) 

Nintendo, take my money.

#str8

#21 mattj

mattj
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Someone's gotta find that code!

If it's like the JPN code it's a one time use code.

#22 Firestorm

Firestorm

Pokémon Gandhi

• Administrator
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Stuff like side games (dream radar) that allow you to get new Pokemon are then only real thing I can think of that would come close, but I'd still like for that not to be the case even though I love small side games for Pokemon

They even had DLC on the Super Famicom in Japan for Zelda. Nintendo isn't against DLC at all. I'm not sure where you got that idea. Aside from the money grab that is Dream Radar (which worked because I shamefully purchased it last night), they're also supporting NSMB2 post-release with DLC. The issue has been infrastructure, not philosophy.

Twitter: @rushanshekar

#23 mattj

mattj
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Aside from the money grab that is Dream Radar (which worked because I shamefully purchased it last night),

Well, to be fair, to you and me, and any other competitive player, Dream Radar is basically paying 3$ to legitimately get just one item, which really is pretty scummy.  But for a lot of people Dream Radar really is a fun game, in-and-of-itself.  My daughter absolutely loves blasting clouds and shooting at those pokemon orbs.

But yeah, I don't get the Nintendo doesn't do DLC argument.  They've been giving away individual pokemon for years now.  And there's DLC for Mario, FF, etc.

Edited by mattj, 08 December 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#24 bziggs

bziggs
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Do these abilities have any competitive advantage at all?

That's what I thought...

But again, we here at Nugget Bridge are solely focused on VGC battling and any advantages we can gain, right?

#25 TheAllyKat

TheAllyKat
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Can someone confirm if these Pokemon are added to your Dream World account? I would like to confirm if I can send them to my Black 1/White 1 as opposed to the Black 2/White 2.

#26 N8thePWNr

N8thePWNr
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Torterra, I- Just, no. Physical Empoleon might be interesting, considering absolutely no one would be expecting it. It doesn't get a whole lot in terms of physical offense outside of Aqua Jet, Drill Peck, and Earthquake. It's still too slow to sweep with, though, so unless you want to run Agility (if they do get released as females), don't expect it to wreck through teams. I do see some use in Iron Fist Infernape. Perhaps a more viable Acrobatics set with Thunderpunch. But I'm not really sure how much justice that would do Infernape. But it is quite a shame that Close Combat isn't a "punch" move.

THIS IS AN INTERNET FORUM SIGNATURE

#27 PK Gaming

PK Gaming
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Dang, I literally just bought Pokemon White 2, a few days ago I would have liked running Infernape ingame.

On the competitive front, i'm not much of a VGC player (so take this with a grain of salt) but I don't think these DW Pokemon will be too useful. 

-Torterra: is it even competitively relevant in VGC? Anyway Shell Armor is kind of negligible. 

-Empoleon: it doesn't have the physical movepool to take advantage of defiant. i'm pretty sure their only viable sets are special attacking / support.

-Infernape: Iron Fist is cool in theory, but it doesn't really boost any of the moves you'd ordinarily use in VGC (Close Combat, Fake Out, Heat Wave).Aren't Infernape is reliant on Fake Out? If DW Infernape is male only you can forget about it.

#28 honchkro13

honchkro13
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

On the competitive front, i'm not much of a VGC player (so take this with a grain of salt) but I don't think these DW Pokemon will be too useful. 

Frankly, after seeing weird stuff in VGC like Exeggutor, Empoleon and special Gyarados, I'm trying really hard not to instantly judge whether a Pokemon will be useful or not.

Nugget Bridge's Fullmetal Alchemist
IGN: Adib  l  Blog: Honchkro Hut

#29 TheAllyKat

TheAllyKat
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Attention Canadian Players!!

Pokemon.com's support just responded to me. They are willing to shift the account region so that the promotion appears for you or at very least, that's the email that I got back.

#30 passby123

passby123
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

do they still have this promotion in walmart?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users