Welcome to Nugget Bridge - Premier Competitive Pokémon VGC Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nugget Bridge

English Dream World Sinnoh Starters Released

32 posts in this topic

With all the hubbub about the 2013 VGC circuit yesterday, this one almost slipped through the cracks: According the the Pokemon Global Link website the Sinnoh starters, Piplup, Chimchar and Turtwig, have been released. To grab one of these sought-after Pokemon, you'll need to head over to your local Wal-Mart and pick up a specially marked copy of Pokemon Black 2 Version or Pokemon White 2 Version. Inside there will be a code that can be inputted into your PGL account to obtain the starter of your choice from December 6, 2012, to July 31, 2013.

Quantities are limited!

Read the full story here

Whoa I'm really loving this sudden outpouring of news over the past 24 hours. I'll bet those starters will be males who can't pass down the ability via breeding :

So that's Defiant Empoleon, Iron Fist Infernape and Shell Armor Torterra for America. I'm not sure if this event is better or worse than the German (or European? I don't know) version of it: buy a new game from that dreaded toys store I won't dare to write the name of to get a Lightningrod Pikachu. I'm not sure because there's really no rational point in the requirement. "Long live the failing people who shove all their quid up Big-N's butt at the release date." :D:( I wonder if there are people putting some codes on Ebay, haha.

Edited by Fatum

I was gonna make a post about this when I saw it on PGL today.Someone's gotta find that code!

No Speed Boost Blaziken :(

Iron Fist Infernape is kinda cool I guess...Defiant Empoleon not really as he's a better special sweeper anyways unless you're using some gimmick thing. And Shell Armor Torterra, waste, not much better than Overgrowth if at all.

Is this promotion limited to the US? (Canada here.) I validated the codes for the December dolls about 25 minutes ago and did not see a spot to validate the code.

Would someone post their code once validated? On the off chance its just the same code in every game.

Is anyone really surprised by this announcement? Let's face facts, its Christmas! The Pokemon Company wants to see children marking their wishlists with a copy of Black 2 or White 2. From a marketing stance, the only way for an ongoing franchise to keep popping out games that are nearly identical to all the others in the series, in this modern day, is to place more and more emphasis upon online play. The online experience of any competitive game sells the game. It also gets people talking about the online experience.

I could easily go off on a rant about how there are many things factoring into the International/US release of the Sinnoh starters however I will just say: do not be surprised if the Kanto and Hoenn starters find there way into the light pre-VGC Worlds in August.

Edited by Biosci

I don't really see any of these 3 getting any more use, I think blaze infernape is better since it typically carries sash and overheat. Empoleon will get a stronger aqua jet which is really cool but the rest of his physical move pool is shabby

kingofmars and Tan like this

They believe that there is money in the starters, but picking up an extra cartridge is more than a little redundant. Why not sell DLC expansions GAMEFREAK? Improve the battle subway and offer some DW abilities for a charge.

Extra carts for Lucario previously and now the Sinnoh starters? I will require more incentive than that to pick up another cart at retail costs.

^because no one rngs them and gives them to everyone for free..

Also i doubt Nintendo will EVER sell extra DLC for games, it's pretty much against what Nintendo is as a company

Yeah Nintendo is against the whole DLC thing.

Not entirely true. There's been a ton of DLC now for New Super Mario Bros. 2, and the Wii U and 3DS will receive tons more DLC according to them.

For the DS, however, I hear it's impossible to do original DLC with that anyways.

Edited by The Knights of Wario Land

Stuff like side games (dream radar) that allow you to get new Pokemon are then only real thing I can think of that would come close, but I'd still like for that not to be the case even though I love small side games for Pokemon

I just don't see why I should have to buy another game for dw starters, I'm not made of money..I think it would  have been a better idea if they like sold Plushies with the DW Codes.. Surely that'd be more productive, who wants the same game twice (I've got both B2 and W2) 

Nintendo, take my money.

Stuff like side games (dream radar) that allow you to get new Pokemon are then only real thing I can think of that would come close, but I'd still like for that not to be the case even though I love small side games for Pokemon

They even had DLC on the Super Famicom in Japan for Zelda. Nintendo isn't against DLC at all. I'm not sure where you got that idea. Aside from the money grab that is Dream Radar (which worked because I shamefully purchased it last night), they're also supporting NSMB2 post-release with DLC. The issue has been infrastructure, not philosophy.

Aside from the money grab that is Dream Radar (which worked because I shamefully purchased it last night),

Well, to be fair, to you and me, and any other competitive player, Dream Radar is basically paying 3$ to legitimately get just one item, which really is pretty scummy.  But for a lot of people Dream Radar really is a fun game, in-and-of-itself.  My daughter absolutely loves blasting clouds and shooting at those pokemon orbs.

But yeah, I don't get the Nintendo doesn't do DLC argument.  They've been giving away individual pokemon for years now.  And there's DLC for Mario, FF, etc.

Edited by mattj

Do these abilities have any competitive advantage at all?

That's what I thought...

But again, we here at Nugget Bridge are solely focused on VGC battling and any advantages we can gain, right?

Can someone confirm if these Pokemon are added to your Dream World account? I would like to confirm if I can send them to my Black 1/White 1 as opposed to the Black 2/White 2.

Torterra, I-Just, no.Physical Empoleon might be interesting, considering absolutely no one would be expecting it. It doesn't get a whole lot in terms of physical offense outside of Aqua Jet, Drill Peck, and Earthquake. It's still too slow to sweep with, though, so unless you want to run Agility (if they do get released as females), don't expect it to wreck through teams.I do see some use in Iron Fist Infernape. Perhaps a more viable Acrobatics set with Thunderpunch.But I'm not really sure how much justice that would do Infernape.But it is quite a shame that Close Combat isn't a "punch" move.