Photo

Japanese PGL Announces Kanto Cup

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Nugget Bridge

Nugget Bridge
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

The Japanese PGL has announced the next in their series of WiFi Tournaments, the Kanto Cup, just in case Europe and North America were feeling spoiled by the recent announcement of the 2013 Winter Friendly. In a move sure to spark jealousy from across the Pacific, the Kanto Cup will be a Single Battle tournament, using standard GBU Single Battle rules with the exception that only Pokemon from the Kanto Pokedex, excluding Mewtwo and Mew, are allowed. Will this be Tauros' chance to regain the throne it once held as the most dominant Pokemon in the metagame?

Players will be divided into Junior, Senior and Master categories as usual though Juniors and Seniors born after the release of Pokemon Red and Blue versions are advised to seek help from those Masters who are now feeling very, very old. Registration opens at 13:00 JST, February 15th, 2013 and closes at 23:59 JST, February 22nd, 2013. The tournament will run from 00:00 JST, February 23rd, 2013, to 23:59 JST, February 25th, 2013.

As a thanks for playing everyone who plays at least one valid match will unlock special C-Gear skins featuring Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise. The tournament is open to Japanese Black 2 and White 2 games only.

Read the full story here

#2 emforbes

emforbes
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Yes! VGC 98!

#3 Koke

Koke
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

This is the first non-standard rules event I'll play more than is necessary to get the participation prize. I really hope they pursue this kind of theme, because the regional pokedex usually have good internal consistency in terms of team building. A Johto tournament would be fantastic!

On a side note, I wonder if this tournament will see a lot of sun teams. Since Ninetales is the only legal pokemon with auto-weather and both Venusaur and Victribell are also available, sun seems more viable than usual.

#4 tlyee61

tlyee61
  • 861 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

This is the first non-standard rules event I'll play more than is necessary to get the participation prize. I really hope they pursue this kind of theme, because the regional pokedex usually have good internal consistency in terms of team building. A Johto tournament would be fantastic!

On a side note, I wonder if this tournament will see a lot of sun teams. Since Ninetales is the only legal pokemon with auto-weather and both Venusaur and Victribell are also available, sun seems more viable than usual.

Oh god, no. Every team would have Top / TTar / Scizor / Politoed / Kingdra 

Johto tournament would be fantastic!

[14:17] deaglebeagle: why would I be racist against myself?
[14:17] deaglebeagle: im not a wigger
[14:18] #Firestorm: my advice to you is to stop talking
[14:18] #Firestorm: before you hurt your chances at a city council spot
[14:18] #Firestorm: when all this blows up on twitter

#5 Havak

Havak

Not a towel

• 674 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

This is awesome, though I wish it was Double Battles. Hopefully we get it, the C-Gear Skins would be cool, too. I want Charizard :( 

#6 shinryu

shinryu
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'm beginning to wonder, even though XY will be released worldwide, will Japan still get all these exclusive tournaments? Might have to consider a Japanese cart in that case...But back on topic this sounded fun. I expect lots of Starmies, maybe some Ash inspired teams lol...

#7 Gonzo

Gonzo

I'm trapped...

• 1,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'll participate, just for the skins, I loved the old ones for BW, I hope those will be cool as well. @shinryu: you'll need a Japanese 3DS as well because of the region lock, JSYK.

#8 BlaqJstr

BlaqJstr
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

oh yeah VGC 98 take that you whippersnappers. I agree the skins do look pretty good and I would love to participate but ill wait till it comes to the states.

Jester<X> 1005 9548 8696

#9 crobert

crobert
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'll participate, just for the skins, I loved the old ones for BW, I hope those will be cool as well.  

I think they're the same as the BW ones except you can now have them for BW2.

#10 EvilMario

EvilMario
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

A tournament where the only Pokemon that can resist Dragonite's Outrage is Magneton.. mmm.

#11 plaid

plaid

Have it on my desk by 5

• Administrator
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Unfortunately the Kanto Cup does not also include the return of the "Special" stat. :(

Follow me on Twitter @NBplaid.

#12 TKOWL

TKOWL
  • 886 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

This is the only tier where Last Resort Snorlax is viable

Cause everything except Rhydon and Magneton will take massive damage from it

Ryan G. / The Knights of Wario Land 

( ´_ゝ`)

#13 Carl

Carl

I'm always open Carl

• 153 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

i'd like to play in this but would need to figure out how to register on the japan pokemon gl site... and would also have to alter my router settings so i could use my ds lite...

was scheming some teams today, though... that was fun times... maybe nuggetbridge should have a tournament of its own............ *hint hint* :)

Synre: <censored> is censored but not <censored>

#14 Chiron

Chiron
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Will this be a chance for Sun Teams to see the light of day?

Don't be a Blissey...Use Bisharp

#15 pball0010

pball0010
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

A tournament where the only Pokemon that can resist Dragonite's Outrage is Magneton.. mmm.

Lets not forget our ice types, now... Dewgong, Lapras, Articuno all gen I... Speaking of legendary birds, I expect high usage of the spanish 3. As far as being jealous, I look at it going both ways wondering how many Japanese players are envious of OUR little metagame to play... Then again, I DO wish I could get that p-gear skin *grumble grumble*

(-o-) #respectthenumbers #hornetswarm (-o-)
3DS FC: 2105-9900-6945

#16 projectmars

projectmars
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Aww, we get silly rotation battles and they get a cool "original 151 minus mewtwo and mew" meta? (Although using ubers does make it a bit better) pity i lack a japanese cart, else i would be all over this. If i had to make a few predictions: magneton and dragonite woule be everywhere, Evolite on kadabra, dragonaire, and machoke may actually be viable, Tauros has fallen too far to be king of this meta, and Sun will definitely be common due to lack of other weather.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Kyubey Fan. Because no one else seems to like the fuzzy little troll.

#17 The Last Sheikah

The Last Sheikah
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Sun will definitely be common due to lack of other weather.

Drought Ninetales + Solar Power Charizard + Chlorophyll Venusaur = terror Japan gets all the cool stuff.

CowFan on Showdown, Niall on WiFi.

#18 EvilMario

EvilMario
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Lets not forget our ice types, now... Dewgong, Lapras, Articuno all gen I... Speaking of legendary birds, I expect high usage of the spanish 3. As far as being jealous, I look at it going both ways wondering how many Japanese players are envious of OUR little metagame to play... Then again, I DO wish I could get that p-gear skin *grumble grumble*

There's plenty that can bring down Dragonite with their Ice attacks, but they can't stomach switching into an Outrage.. or a +1 Outrage. Given that this is singles, if Dragonite manages to setup, it'll be tough to stop.

#19 Yellowbox

Yellowbox
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Waiiit. This is only open for the Japanese?

It's Y'boi

#20 Gonzo

Gonzo

I'm trapped...

• 1,420 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

For Japanese B2 and W2 games, to be specific.

#21 Yellowbox

Yellowbox
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

So, we cant joiin?!

Edited by Yellowbox, 04 February 2013 - 09:06 AM.

It's Y'boi

#22 Gonzo

Gonzo

I'm trapped...

• 1,420 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

... If you own Japanese Black2 or White2 you can join, otherwise, no.

#23 plaid

plaid

Have it on my desk by 5

• Administrator
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Carl and I played a bo3 for the smogon premiere league. he won in two matches?!

This is the team I used which you can tell is really basic. Basically I had two modes: TR and face-roll Sun. I expected Carl would go Sun if he hadn't put too much thought into the team so Hypno was a perfect counter -- immune to Sleep and able to set up TR and then sweep w/ Nasty Plot while Venusaur/Victreebel would be scared off. The Sun mode was for if Carl hadn't put ANY thought at all in his team and would let Venusaur roll him. Ninetales is Scarfed to prevent any rain dance shenanigans from jolteon (but not electrode) and ensure that Sun stayed up. Snorlax was a tech for TR mode with Zen Headbutt to defeat Gengar/Fighters (POSSIBLY. RNG didn't let me actually check.) and boom because it's a yamsing Snorlax. Chansey was a defensive pivot but uhhh kinda useless... And Aerodactyl is awesome and I just wanted to be able to hit things (like a truck) with CB. Outspeeds Starmie.

The actual games went very poorly as while Hypno scared off his venusaur easily t1 and set TR, Chansey's Toxic ultimately brought down my hopes for a Nasty Plot sweep (though Hypno did defeat Chansey 1v1!). Afterwards, Shell Smash cloyster was able to defeat snorlax with a timely defense drop from Razor Shell (I had no idea that could happen) and then SubSeed Venusaur crippled my own Chansey (which should have been something cooler like Ninetales. Why didn't I ever bring ninetales?).

The second game I went with the same lineup but my own Venusaur over Chansey to defend against both toxic and seed. Unfortunately, Carl went with the lamest strat ever of Outrage Dragonite which set a sub on my Hypno and then dominated with outrage. Snorlax managed a Curse under TR but then Machamp came out. He got a Dynamic Punch onto my Venusaur which confused it, making my only hope a Sleep Powder through confusion. I did not get the roll I needed and suffered an embarassing defeat at the hands of machamp for my troubles. :(

GG

Follow me on Twitter @NBplaid.

#24 Carl

Carl

I'm always open Carl

• 153 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I successfully defeated evan in our SPL All-Star week match today in a special twist format: Kanto Cup. Being that evan and I still have to play RBY for real in the second half of SPL and also that RBY UU, while fine, is not really any more exciting or interesting than OU or Ubers, we agreed to take RBY into the present day and do a best of 3 in Kanto Cup format. We thought this would be a more interesting approach because this isn't really a metagame anyone actively plays… meaning, these teams were solely on us to create from the unknown and based only on our best guess as to what the other might try to do.

I won 2 games to 0 in our best of three. However, evan and I are apparently really bad at using PO and did not save logs of either match. evan did a pretty good job at recapping the actual events of the battles so I'll go through my team and just provide some reasoning for why I picked what I did for those battles.

The team I chose was: http://pastebin.com/B6L4VZwP

Basically, I started thinking I wanted to use sun, since it's the only available auto weather, so Ninetales got a spot along with a tentative Chlorophyll mon. Was Eggy but I realized Venusaur was cooler and also that it was faster. I was thinking of keeping in the theme of sun but then realized that this format was basically Battle Subway with RBY mons, so I changed direction completely and filled in the rest of the team with pokemon I knew, and have used, in the Subway before, and based their move sets on what I needed. I figured Snorlax might get used (and I was right) so I went with a Bulk Up Machamp for extra insurance. Plus, I had used Bulk Up Machamp effectively in the WiFi train and liked its style. Dragonite is standard Subway affair, probably should have Earthquake for Eviolite Magneton but wanted some priority in case I had to go heads up with other Dragonite or Cloyster. Lum Berry obviously serving the double role of clearing confusion but also preventing sleep and such (remember, no sleep clause on GBU). Chansey and Cloyster are both super boring. So, back to Ninetales and Venusaur… by the time I filled out the rest of the roster, I realized I didn't want to use sun at all but brought it anyway for the team preview aspect. Don't ask about Wide Lens.. Venusaur, though, I did have a plan for once I decided to move away from sun: I would use it as a secondary counter to Snorlax and Chansey and other random things. Turned out to be a good choice. Chesto Berry was to combat rival Chlorophyll users by setting a Sub or sleeping them back should the need arise. Don't ask about the EV choices there, I have no idea what I was doing.

I chose Venusaur, Chansey and Cloyster in our first match because Aerodactyl scared me a bit and so I thought I could either sleep it, use counter on it, or Icicle Spear it. Hypno was a good mon to choose on evan's part but was another factor in me bringing Chansey. Cloyster did get lucky on Snorlax, so that was cool, though I knew I had Sub Venusaur in my back pocket.

Battle two I chose Dragonite thinking I might see his own Venusaur and also to hit Hypno a lot harder... Chansey was obviously not effective against Nasty Plot. Machamp was for better reaction against Snorlax and Cloyster was last, though I didn't need it.

GG, bragging rights until we meet again, evan ;)

Edited by Carl, 04 February 2013 - 03:28 PM.

Synre: <censored> is censored but not <censored>

#25 tlyee61

tlyee61
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

entering this! looks like sun , cloyster, dragonite, chansey and magneton, gengar and alakazam will be popular!

[14:17] deaglebeagle: why would I be racist against myself?
[14:17] deaglebeagle: im not a wigger
[14:18] #Firestorm: my advice to you is to stop talking
[14:18] #Firestorm: before you hurt your chances at a city council spot
[14:18] #Firestorm: when all this blows up on twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users